Egg and Tomato Bake:
This is a wonderfully fresh-tasting dish. It can be made with canned tomatoes.
50g (2oz) butter
A few fresh basil leaves, or 1 tsp dried basil
4 spring onions, chopped
900 gr (2lbs) tomatoes, skinned and sliced
50gr (2oz) fresh breadcrumbs, preferably white
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 8/ 230ºC
2. Using half the butter, grease a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish
3. Hard-boil the eggs and keep warm
4. Chop the fresh basil leaves, if used. Mix the basil and spring onions with the tomatoes.
5. Make a layer with half this mixture over the bas of the dish and season to taste.
6. Halve the egs and mixture, season again and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs
7. Dot with the remaining butter and bake in the oven for 8-10 mins
8. Serve at once