Mascarpone Cheese Recipe:
This cheese is used in various Italian pastries and dessers. It also tastes great on a piece of toast with sprinkled sugar!
1qt Light Cream
¼ tsp Tartaric Acid
1. Heat 1 qt of LIGHT CREAM to 180ºF (82ºC)
2. Add ¼ tsp tartaric acid
3. Stir for about 10-15 mins
4. The cream should thicken with small flecks of curd
5. Using a DOUBLE layer of FINE cheesecloth in a strainer, pour off the whey and let it drain for about an hour
6. Put the strainer in a bowl and place it in the refrigerator to drain overnight (or 12 hrs)
7. In the morning, scoop out the cheese and put into an airtight container
** Tartaric Acid is available from any cheesemaking supply company and most wine companies. Since at home winemaking is much more common, look in your phone book for a local winemaking supply store. Many wine and liquor stores carry wine making supplies and may have tartaric acid.